RB26 S13 – Fancy Manifolds

Something I wanted to post before getting the car finished but never actually finished writing everything. Here are the custom manifolds and external gates!

IMG_1227

This was one of the most time consuming things that was done on the car. Apart from the rear tubs and the tube front end, the manifolds probably took the longest to complete.

It started with this.

IMG_9666

I mocked up some scrap pipe to mount the turbos on, so I could get an idea of how everything was going to work.

IMG_9670

So many things came into play at this point. Where do I run the cooler piping? Where are the gates going to go? Dump pipe routing, all the oil and water lines and are the tubs going to be a pain to work around?

IMG_9668

Fortunately, most of that was easy to work around. I’d say the hardest part was routing the dump pipes because of how little room there was. Surprisingly, everything else went pretty well.

Time to start making some manifolds.

Started by getting the v-band flanges tacked into an approximate spot.

IMG_1069

After a couple adjustments, Andy started making the manifolds while I ran more lines and fittings through the car.

IMG_1066

A few more changes and some quick welds, manifold number one was ready to test fit. Everything looking good so far!

IMG_1080

Tacked the rear manifold together and sat both turbos on top.

IMG_1100

There wasn’t much clearance to the tubs, only just enough to fit cooler piping and all my lines.

IMG_1103

By the middle of the week the rear manifold was completely welded and ready for a final test fit.

IMG_1176

IMG_1175

This was the closest the engine bay had ever been to looking complete!

IMG_1180

IMG_1178

See what I mean about not having much room?

IMG_1183

I let Andy keep going on the front manifold while I started a couple other bits.

This is probably one of the most simple things you can do to an RB to make it look a little nicer.

These standard breather fittings not only look like trash, they also limit you to using a push-on hose.

IMG_1213

IMG_1215

I wanted to run AN fittings to the catch can, so I bought a pair of these from a local guy. You might think they are meant to be welded to the cover, they aren’t. These have tapered ends which means they can be pressed into the covers, just like the factory pieces. Saves a bit of time in prepping and welding while also looking much more simple.

IMG_1219

One side finished!

IMG_1221

Less than twenty minutes worth of work and both covers were done.

IMG_1225

Looks so much better than the factory fittings in my opinion.

IMG_1226

By the end of the week I had finished making a bunch of new oil and fuel lines, and Andy had finished with the second manifold.

These are definitely some of the best pieces of fab work on the car.

IMG_1284

Minus the gate pipe on manifold one, these are the finished pieces.

IMG_1277

IMG_1282

And this is with both turbos mounted and ready for the lines!

IMG_1299

It got really cosy in here once the cooler piping and dump pipes came along. I’ll get another post up over the weekend covering some more bits!

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s